Quick Mediterranean Breakfast Toast
This Mediterranean breakfast toast is one of my favorite savory breakfast toast ideas. I kinda like it to be a breakfast bowl recipe, because I love to have vegetables for breakfast.
This is the first of the lots of healthy breakfast bowls you’ll see on the blog, and I’ll make sure to include the best veggies for breakfast that I prefer: spinach and tomatoes.
What about you? Are you a fan of veggies? Check out these recipes for some inspo:
- Beetroot Broccoli Salad With Blood Orange Segments
- Feta, Quinoa and Boiled Carrots Salad
- Stuffed Ricotta Tomato Galette (No Eggs)
- Easiest Super Greens Salad Mix
- Minimalist Vegan Walnut Pesto With Parsley And Dill
Reasons To Try Making a Mediterranean Breakfast Toast
- Great way to include raw spinach – Whenever there is a veggie that you want to eat, but it always tastes ‘meh’ to you, look for ways to incorporate it in a texture you find appealing.
- Interesting texture – I do not like to eat leaves for breakfast. Nor do I like to always have my spinach in smoothies. On the other hand, soaking a crispy toasted slice of sourdough in a thick sauce excites me. Sometimes the same ingredients, combined in a different texture, change your approach to their taste.
- No need to cook anything – No need to turn on the oven or a pan. You will only need a blender for the spinach and a regular toaster to toast your slice of bread.
- Dried tomatoes in a bowl – Except for adding more color, sundried tomatoes add so much variation in both taste and texture. Besides, they are healthy and very much of a Mediterranean spirit. It’s all about the colors!
- Diary-rich breakfast – but make it vegan! Instead of creme fraiche, feel free to use sour cream or any of your favorite vegan cheeses, scrambled.
- Quick and easy – Cooking is not my favorite thing to do first thing in the morning, but I still want to eat something that wakes my senses up and makes me happy. This breakfast with vegetables did not disappoint at all!
Ingredients For This Mediterranean Savory Breakfast Bowl
- Sourdough – a slice of sourdough is the perfect starter for your breakfast. Instead, use your favorite slice of bread.
- Creme Fraiche – In love with the creaminess and richness it has. Whisk it in a separate bowl and feel free to add some more salt and black pepper. Instead, you can use sour cream or even Greek yogurt. Makes miracles!
- Sundried tomato – If you make it by yourself, you most probably have it in a jar of olive oil. Alternatively, look for brands that sell sundried tomatoes in olive oil. You will need some tartness flavor in every savory Mediterranean breakfast.
- Spinach – As I mentioned earlier, I don’t feel like eating spinach leaves first thing in the morning. But, I like the dried, earthy taste and love the nutrients obviously. So, I just put them in a blender and add half a cut of water. Blend until you get the creamy texture.
- Olive oil – This is a must in savory breakfast bowls, and pretty much in every Mediterranean fish.
How To Make Mediterranean Breakfast Toast, Step By Step
- Toast your favorite slice of bread, -here, sourdough, – make it hot and crispy.
- As it toasts, whisk the creme with some salt, black pepper, zest, and a drizzle of lemon juice.
- Blend the spinach with a little water until it gets as creamy as you want.
- Assemble your breakfast bowl by putting a slice of bread on the edge of it, topping it with creme fraiche and 3-4 sundried tomatoes, and then pour in the spinach cream on the side of the bowl. At least, drizzle some olive oil.
How To Store Leftover Breakfast Toast
I highly doubt there will be any leftovers, but just in case there might be, you will want to cover your bowl with another place and put it in the fridge. It is safe to re-eat within 24 hours.
Prepare the spinach creme last minute because it loses color if it sits in the fridge for days.
Bottom line, make this toast last minute.
Mediterranean Breakfast Toast Variations
The possibilities are endless!
As a spread, you can experiment with pestos, like this parsley and walnut pesto, olive pesto, basil pesto etc. Red pepper hummus is also a great idea. Finely chopped herbs with Greek yogurt is a forever favorite.
With the vegetables, the fresher the more flavorful they are. However, roasted vegetables are a perfect solution to having a rich breakfast with vegetables. Even leftover roasted vegetables can make a perfect toast for the next breakfast!
Protein-rich? Add boiled eggs, leftover chicken, or salmon fillets. Mmm, yes, please!
Did you like this Mediterranean breakfast toast as a vegetarian breakfast bowl idea? I know you are here because you’re a fan of easy Mediterranean diet recipes and you’re in the right place! Keep your eyes peeled for other breakfasts with vegetable recipes.